Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Lion King

Recently I had the extreme privilege of getting to go see Disney Presents: The Lion King, live in Boston.


It was absolutely amazing! I'm a huge fan of Broadway shows and all things musical, and I've been lucky enough to get to see quite a few professional productions. The Lion King was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Firstly, the costumes were breathtaking. In the opening number, there was literally an elephant coming down the aisles; I couldn't believe my eyes! There were gazelles, rhinos, zebras, a leopard, and, of course, lions. Each piece was beautifully constructed and made the shows so exciting to watch. Even without the wonderful music, acting, and dancing, the show would have been a spectacle due to the costumes alone.

Then there was the opening of the show itself. The curtain went up to reveal a stage, empty except for one woman dressed up as a fabulous Rafiki. In the silence, she paused, took us in, and then began. "Naaaa..." And "The Circle of Life" began. That opening song/scene alone would have been worth the cost of my ticket. The voices of the people in the cast were, obviously, incredibly strong. The entire cast was on stage in their animal costumes and it was absolutely breathtaking.

As the show continued, all of the memorable songs from the movie were present, which was wonderful. But what was really great was that there were actually new songs added as well, which I also loved. The entire show was not only the story of the The Lion King, but also a beautiful celebration of African culture. I loved every second of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment